Subscriptions Now On Sale
Subscriptions of three or four productions start at just $99 and are available for purchase online. Support will be available via web chat (desktop computers only) and by phone at 617.547.8300. Please note that while A.R.T. Ticket Services will be open with limited staff for in-person sales, we encourage you to purchase online for fastest service.
- 3-Play Preview Experience: $99 – $111
- 4-Play Preview Experience: $144
- 3-Play Choose-Your-Own Experience: $175 – $195
- 4-Play Total Experience: $230
If you have any questions about the subscription process, please check out our FAQs. Visit FAQs
We have such an extraordinary line-up of must-see theatrical experiences in store for our audiences. Anna Deavere Smith’s illuminating work has engaged A.R.T.’s audiences for many years, so I’m thrilled that we will produce her new ensemble version of Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992, a kaleidoscopic examination of the 1992 LA riots and their continuing resonance today. We are also excited to invite audiences to revel in the stunning puppetry and storytelling of Life of Pi and the brilliant writing of Zadie Smith’s The Wife of Willesden, set in a boisterous British pub. I’m also excited that A.R.T. audiences will have the opportunity to see the national tour production of Jagged Little Pill, which I am directing, when it comes to [Broadway in Boston] in June 2023.
Terrie and Bradley Bloom Artistic Director Diane Paulus
Live & In-Person Programming
Conceived, Written, and Revised by Anna Deavere Smith
Directed by Taibi Magar
Presented in association with Signature Theatre
August 28 – September 23, 2022 at the Loeb Drama Center
“As potent as ever, reminding of the possibility of art as a unifying force.” – TheaterMania
In 1992, the news of the police officers’ acquittal in Rodney King’s police brutality case reverberated throughout the streets of Los Angeles. Called “a riot,” “a revolution,” and “a social explosion,” the events that followed drew worldwide attention—and inspired playwright, actor, and scholar Anna Deavere Smith (Notes from the Field: Doing Time in Education, Let Me Down Easy, Fires in the Mirror) to dissect the anatomy of the civil unrest. Her Tony Award-nominated, Obie Award-winning exploration derived from interviews with more than 350 Los Angelinos reveals the fault lines that set the city ablaze. “As necessary now as when Los Angeles was actively smoldering,” (The New York Times), Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 is a stirring cry for reform. Smith revised the play for a cast of five while in residence at Signature Theatre, where Taibi Magar (Macbeth In Stride, We Live in Cairo) directed this new production.
Engagement Support of Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 is provided by The Crimson Lion / Lavine Family Foundation. Production support is provided by Katie and Paul Buttenwieser.
North American Premiere
Winner of five 2022 Olivier Awards Including Best New Play
Based on the best-selling novel by Yann Martel
By Lolita Chakrabarti
Directed by Max Webster
Puppetry and Movement Direction by Finn Caldwell
Scenic and Costume Design by Tim Hatley
December 4, 2022 – January 29, 2023 at the Loeb Drama Center
★★★★★ “Breathtaking. It will make you believe in the power of theater.” – The Times of London
“One of the most visually stunning shows I’ve ever seen.” – Time Out London
Sixteen-year-old Pi and his family set off to emigrate from India, but after their ship sinks in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Pi is left stranded on a lifeboat with just four other survivors—a hyena, a zebra, an orangutan, and a Royal Bengal tiger. Time is against them, nature is harsh, who will survive? Called “extraordinary and unmissable” by The Guardian for its inventive puppetry, this highly imaginative theatrical adaptation brings one of the most beloved works of fiction to the stage to tell its epic story of endurance and hope.
Additional production support of Life of Pi is provided by Janet and Irv Plotkin.
North American Premiere
Adapted by Zadie Smith from Chaucer’s The Wife of Bath
Directed by Indhu Rubasingham
A Kiln Theatre Production
February 25 – March 18, 2023 at the Loeb Drama Center
“The Wife of Willesden is a celebration of community and local legends, of telling a good story and living a life worth telling.” – The Guardian
“Glorious…Zadie Smith and Indhu Rubasingham have concocted a stunning piece of freewheeling stagecraft. Clare Perkins is magnificent.” – The Times of London
A proper local legend, Alvita will tell her life story to anyone in the local West London pub—there’s no shame in her game. The question is: are you ready to hear it? Because this woman’s got the gift of the gab: she can rewrite mistakes into triumphs, turn pain into parables. And her love life? It’s an epic poem. They call her the Wife of Willesden. Join her for an evening that celebrates the human knack for telling elaborate tales, especially about our own lives. Winner of the 2022 Critics’ Circle Theatre Award for Most Promising Playwright, critically acclaimed and multi award-winning best-selling author Zadie Smith transforms an excerpt from Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales into the unbelievable—and unforgettable.
To Be Announced
May – June 2023
One title at the Loeb Drama Center in May and June 2023 is yet to be announced. Add it to your subscription for the best seats at the best prices! Stay tuned—we promise it will be one you won’t want to miss.
A.R.T. will continue to offer digital programming for audiences to enjoy from anywhere in the world, including:
- Civically Speaking, featuring virtual conversations, lectures, and performance events on history, politics, justice, and the meaning of democracy.
- Behind the Scenes, with the writers, directors, composers, and choreographers who are making new work at the A.R.T. Hear new songs and scenes, and learn about the process, research, and development that goes into the creation of new plays and musicals.
- The Lunch Room, A.R.T.’s virtual talk show featuring the artists, activists, and civic leaders who are shaping our communities.
A.R.T. in the World
- 1776 (A.R.T. revival premiere playing May – July 2022) will open at Roundabout Theatre Company in September 2022 and begin a national tour in February 2023.
- Jagged Little Pill (A.R.T. world premiere May 2018) returns to Sydney, Australia in July 2022; returns to Boston in June 2023 as part of a 30-city US National Tour that begins in August 2022; and opens in London’s West End in Fall 2022.
- Ocean Filibuster (A.R.T. world premiere February 2022) continues a national tour in fall 2022 / spring 2023.
- Waitress (A.R.T. world premiere August 2015) continues its US tour in Cleveland, OH through June 2022, and continues its UK and Ireland tour through August 2022.
- The immersive phenomenon Sleep No More (A.R.T. production October 2009) continues at The McKinnon Hotel in Shanghai and at The McKittrick Hotel in New York City.
- Notes from the Field (A.R.T. production August 2016) is currently available on HBO.
- All the Way (A.R.T. production September 2013) is currently available on HBO.